For this painting session, I decided to tackle more of the basket. This is going to be time-consuming, and I can’t proceed with the rest until I’ve at least covered up the underpainting. I noticed that it was very hard for me to mix the correct colors for all of these bamboo strips. Partly it’s because I’m painting them a different color than they appear, to prepare for subsequent glazes. Mostly, though, I think it’s because I paint by comparing, and there isn’t enough paint down yet to serve as a basis for comparison.
The handle was next. It was very tricky to see all of the intricacies of the wrapping of the bamboo. I did my best to indicate the basic shapes and colors. I wasn’t too concerned about getting all of the details perfect yet, though. I’ll still need to add another glaze to the background. When I blend this glaze, whether by stippling with a shaving brush or wiping with a cloth, some of the glaze will inevitably get on the handle, obscuring some of the paint. I’ll have to restate many areas after that glaze is dry. That’s ok, though. At this point, I’m not trying for finish-level details. I like the whole painting to proceed at the same rate. I don’t want to commit to final details until I can judge the whole together. Later, I will repaint many areas. They’ll be better observed, and the multiple layers of paint add complexity and richness.
I worked my way down the left side. Little-by-little it’s progressing!